The day after we (the group on a mission's trip and I) went to a coffee farm called Columbia. Although I am not a huge coffee drinker I really enjoyed the tour. The owner of the coffee farm gave us the tour and shared her family's background with the farm. Here's the short version- The owner's great-grandmother came to Guatemala from Spain and bought the farm for her sons to tend to. Back then the farm was for vegetables, not coffee. As she got older, she decided to divide the farm and give ownership to her four grandsons (one being the current owner's father). Well, the current owner's father loved the farm so much that he bought back the other portions of the farm and converted it into a coffee farm. As he got older, he also decided to divide the farm and give ownership to his two daughters (who both currently own the farms today). I thought it was really neat that she shared her story. It made the tour more personal. At the end of the tour we each got to try a cup of Guatemalan coffee. Yum!
This is the group I went to the coffee farm with.
Cindy is on the very left. She is one of the people
who stayed at my house.
On the right is a picture of what a coffee tree looks like.

This picture shows the stages of growth starting
with a coffee bean growing into a leaf/tree.

This is a coffee bean ready to be harvested. The
two little coffee beans were squeezed out of the red shell.

A closer view of unripe coffee beans on the
branches on a coffee tree.

This is a picture of all natural compost made of
old coffee bean shells, worms, and some other
stuff I didn't want to know.

This is where they spread out the coffee beans to dry.

A picture of the owner telling us about the storage
process for the coffee beans. This farm in particular
exports their coffee to Japan.
No comments:
Post a Comment