Sorry I have not posted something about my trip to Lake Atitlan sooner than this but here are the details and some pictures.
A few friends and I got picked up Saturday morning around 6am to make the journey to Panajachel, one of the 12 or so towns surrounding Lake Atitlan. Let's just say it was quite a journey as the roads were rough and scary at times. The road had 160 degree switch backs going through the mountains, where a road big enough for a car and a half was used as a two way road.
We sent the day traveling by boat to three different towns called San Pedro, Santiago, and San Catarina. We walked around, shopped, took pictures, and ate throughout the day. After about 6 hours or so, we came back, showered, and walked into the town of Panajachel. I don't remember what restaurant we ate at but let's just say it was really late, I was really hungry, and I did not have the patience I needed to wait an hour and a half for our food. The next morning we left for Chichicastenango which was another 1 1/2 hour drive. Chichicastenango is known for their market so we mostly walked and shopped. We only lasted for about an hour and then found an ice cream shop to sit at until our van left to head back to Antigua.
Here are some pictures from my trip.

The view of Lake Atitlan from our hotel and out my window.

A little closer view of Lake Atitlan from our hotel.

This was our boat driver. We rented a private boat for the afternoon. There were 5 of us renting the boat so it wasn't too expensive to rent for 6 hours.

This was our boat driver's son. He is 4 years old. He was so cute as he helped his dad throughout the day. He was so tired he fell asleep on our last stretch home.

A sunset view of Lake Atitlan.

Relaxing once we got back to our hotel.

The best bean log I've ever had...
although I'm not sure if was worth waiting an hour and a half for.
A few friends and I got picked up Saturday morning around 6am to make the journey to Panajachel, one of the 12 or so towns surrounding Lake Atitlan. Let's just say it was quite a journey as the roads were rough and scary at times. The road had 160 degree switch backs going through the mountains, where a road big enough for a car and a half was used as a two way road.
We sent the day traveling by boat to three different towns called San Pedro, Santiago, and San Catarina. We walked around, shopped, took pictures, and ate throughout the day. After about 6 hours or so, we came back, showered, and walked into the town of Panajachel. I don't remember what restaurant we ate at but let's just say it was really late, I was really hungry, and I did not have the patience I needed to wait an hour and a half for our food. The next morning we left for Chichicastenango which was another 1 1/2 hour drive. Chichicastenango is known for their market so we mostly walked and shopped. We only lasted for about an hour and then found an ice cream shop to sit at until our van left to head back to Antigua.
Here are some pictures from my trip.
The view of Lake Atitlan from our hotel and out my window.
A little closer view of Lake Atitlan from our hotel.
This was our boat driver. We rented a private boat for the afternoon. There were 5 of us renting the boat so it wasn't too expensive to rent for 6 hours.
This was our boat driver's son. He is 4 years old. He was so cute as he helped his dad throughout the day. He was so tired he fell asleep on our last stretch home.
A sunset view of Lake Atitlan.
Relaxing once we got back to our hotel.
The best bean log I've ever had...
although I'm not sure if was worth waiting an hour and a half for.
Sounds like a blast!!
ReplyDelete