Thursday, October 29, 2009

Random Pictures


These are my friends and past-graduates from Anija, Alma Mia and Maria Rebekah. Maria Rebekah lived at the Ark for many years, attended Anija, and has now graduated from high school last year. She wants to study to become a dentist. Continuing her education is possible through sponsors and scholarships through Kids Alive. Alma Mia did not finish school past going to Anija, which is very typical here in the Dominican Republic. I heard a statistic that about 5% of Dominicans graduate from high school.


Here is a picture of students lining up in the morning when the bell rings. There is one line for girls and one line for boys for each grade. One of the Directors, teachers, or students pray, the students say the 5 Respects (Respect God, Respect yourself, Respect adults, Respect others, and Respect the property), and then sing the Christian Hymn and National Anthem.


Here I am with Elizabeth. Elizabeth is one of our many students at Anija that have sponsors who help pay for her education at Anija. I visited her house in a barrio that is close to the Ark. Her house consists of basically one room with sheets hanging to form a 'bedroom' or two. I noticed the roof was made of tin with little holes in it. The next time it rained a lot I thought about her (and many others) and how water was probably coming through the holes in the roofs.


I'm with Indiana, who lives at the Ark and is a third grader at Anija. Every last Sunday of the month, the Ark holds a church service on-site so that any parents/relatives who are still in the picture can come for the day, starting with church, having lunch together after, and spending time together during the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures! Pictures tell so much about the happiness of the moment. Julie-Anne, you are bringing happiness into the lives of the children you teach. It is obvious in their faces. God is happy as he watches you doing his work!

    ReplyDelete