Sunday, January 24, 2010

English Class


As many of you know I have been teaching English to 3rd-8th graders at Anija for the past 5 months. It's been quite challenging as I do most of the instruction for activities in Spanish (and I'm still learning the Spanish language myself). Although taking English class is a requirement for 5th-8th grade, a lot of the kids are interested in learning English as they want to be able to speak to the teams that come and help. And then of course there are others who have no interest in learning English. When preparing lessons, I try to think of the process it is taking me to learn Spanish and what is helpful for me and apply that to helping them learn English. I also like to think about when I was in those grades and how I felt towards school and life and be able to relate to them in that way. My favorite days of class are when teams come and help with my English classes. I love watching each kid have the opportunity to actually speak English and not be intimidated by the rest of the class watching. Below are some pictures from my 3rd and 4th grade classes.


Last week third grade learned colors and shapes.


The fourth graders were also learning colors and shapes.


I told my students that if they worked quietly and did their best we would take a picture together. They LOVE taking pictures :)


5 comments:

  1. You never stop amazing me Julie Anne!!! and of course I love the rainbows!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Julie-Anne! That is a great picture of you and the kids! I can't wait to finally be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to be a helper in your classroom, Julie-Anne! I am studying my spanish to be ready to speak with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my favorite oversees English teacher in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! What a great picture. Your adventure looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete