\
Anija's Club Volleyball team. This year Anija is having a tournament for the girls who attend or have attended Anija over the next few months. The girls were split into teams and will play games every Friday until May. The overall winners will receive medals :) Traditionally there is a ceremony whenever a new sports season starts (here in the DR) and so that's what we did. I was an honoree along with 4 others. A few people gave some encouraging words on working hard and sportsmanship, we sang their National Anthem, and Leslie (another KAI missionary) and I did the first play of the tournament.

Shoes that were donated for the volleyball girls. Over Christmas I asked friends to donate athletic shoes for the girls playing volleyball as the girls were wearing shoes with no backs, no support, no cushion, etc. I'm excited for them to see the difference although I couldn't quite explain in Spanish why athletic shoes are so much better to play sports in than crocs or converse. Thank you again to everyone who donated! We still need smaller sizes (5-8). Let me know if you have any to donate :)

One of the 6 or 7 teams formed. This team has all girls that live at the Ark.
Anija's Club Volleyball team. This year Anija is having a tournament for the girls who attend or have attended Anija over the next few months. The girls were split into teams and will play games every Friday until May. The overall winners will receive medals :) Traditionally there is a ceremony whenever a new sports season starts (here in the DR) and so that's what we did. I was an honoree along with 4 others. A few people gave some encouraging words on working hard and sportsmanship, we sang their National Anthem, and Leslie (another KAI missionary) and I did the first play of the tournament.
Shoes that were donated for the volleyball girls. Over Christmas I asked friends to donate athletic shoes for the girls playing volleyball as the girls were wearing shoes with no backs, no support, no cushion, etc. I'm excited for them to see the difference although I couldn't quite explain in Spanish why athletic shoes are so much better to play sports in than crocs or converse. Thank you again to everyone who donated! We still need smaller sizes (5-8). Let me know if you have any to donate :)
One of the 6 or 7 teams formed. This team has all girls that live at the Ark.
I was so proud to see these girls attempting sit-ups. This was the first time I saw any of the girls doing strength exercises.
One of the volleyball players and also my student. It's great to bond with the girls outside of English class. They ask me to play but I keep telling them I'm not talented with any sport that involves a ball. I'm the type of athlete who runs and fetches the ball. Hopefully I'll get better...
That is so cool! I wish I could be there to help out! I had a blast playing with the girls while I was there!! Maybe next year I can help more with the tournament!!
ReplyDelete