Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Day of Home Visits

Today was my first day of home visits. Our goal is to see where our students are living, build relationships with the parents, and get a more accurate idea of what a kids home life is like. I went to Barrio Blanco (near by) with the first grade teacher, Rubelina. We visited four different houses of first graders that go to ANIJA that live in this area. There are no street names here so once you get to a barrio (or neighborhood) you just ask whoever is around where this or that person lives.Once we arrived at a student's house, Rubelina talked with a parent and filled out a form about the student's family, house, living situation, etc. while I sat there just trying to understand what was being said. I also took a few pictures.

People here are great at greeting and welcoming guests into their homes.

Although we mostly visited first graders today, I got to see one of my third graders (who has a sibling who is in first grade).

This is a "kitchen." This family has no bathroom and I literally saw one of the little girls pee in that bucket while we were sitting and talking with the parent.

The outside of a few houses.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! what an incredible way to show and spread Gods love!! I can't wait to hear about the changes your efforts make!

    ReplyDelete