Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer is here!

The school year is officially done and summer activities are about to begin. The first few days I was back in the DR weren't very productive as I got strep throat. Praise the Lord for a couple of Kids Alive missionaries who could help me and had some antibiotics and brought me popsicles. I am feeling much better now!

As I've been back for a few days now I've had to jump back into the Dominican culture. Starting in the airport I got a "dominican whistle" from a guy and thought, "I'm definitely back in the DR!" Then I went to the bank, which always makes me a little nervous as I feel like people are always watching for those "rich Americans" to steal from. I got money out safely and headed to get gas for my pasola. I ended up needing more oil and by the time they finished there were 5 Dominican guys surrounding me... uncomfortable. And throughout these past few days the electricity has been going out way more than usual and the rumor is that it's the mayor whose doing this to the electricity because he's mad he didn't get reelected.

Here's a preview of what's to come in the next couple of weeks. On Monday, 16 interns arrive (along with my roommate) and will be here for 6 weeks. All the people involved with our summer programs at all our ministry sites will come to Jarabacoa for training on Wednesday and Thursday. Then our 5 week summer program officially begins the following Monday. Throughout these weeks I will get to be involved with the interns by doing a weekly Bible Study with them, taking them out to dinner on Friday nights, and going on an adventure (waterfalls, a hike, the capital, etc) on the weekends along with some of the other KAI missionaires. I will also be the head teacher for the kindergarten class at Anija's summer program and will help with tutoring math for the older kids in the afternoon.

Please pray for all our summer activities, for safety and health for everyone and that hearts will be open to hearing, seeing, and knowing God this summer. Also, I would like prayers and accountability for spending personal time in the Word and prayer this summer and that I will also have time to enjoy running/working out.

May God bless you this summer and stay tunned for more updates and pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment