The first thing we did was stop by one of the Children's Homes that new kids would be living in. As Jeff and some others talked, Jenilea and I were outside playing with the house parents two kids. It was the funniest and most awkward soccer 'game' I've played. We literally did not say one word the whole time. Initially I would start to say something in Spanish (my "go to" language when someone doesn't understand English) but then I rememebered that they don't speak Spanish, only Creole. So we simply communicated by smiling, laughing, and throwing our hands up in the air when we missed the ball. Therefore, I though "Silent Soccer" was a good phrase to describe our soccer game.
That's so funny. We did the same thing in Russia. We kept trying to speak Spanish and then remembered, that's not any better. At one point we were trying so hard to communicate w/ one of the young kids that had just accepted the Lord and we didn't have a translator. We were so excited when he was able to say, "mushroom" in English. It was so funny!
ReplyDeleteI guess you could say... silence is golden. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your trip went well and that all the kids were able to be put in homes. That must have been a neat experience and I bet it really made you feel so blessed for all God has done for you over the years.
This week in my Sunday School class we discussed the importance of Grace and Works, and what part each play in our Salvation. It was said that Grace is for us and our Works are for those around us. (for the planting of seeds for others' salvation.)
ReplyDeleteWe also talked about the differences in understanding between generations and cultures. The younger generations may not understand "party lines" and "eight track tapes" and the older generations are having to learn "texting and facebook". Cultures are split by language and lifestyles.
It is because of these differences in understanding that Works are so important in our reaching the world for Christ.
Your "Silent Soccer" is an amazing example of this. I bet the kids had a blast and felt loved even in the silence. What a ministry!
"Preach the gospel at all times. - If necessary, use words. - St. Francis of Assisi