Saturday, August 21, 2010

Poop in the River


Wow. What an experience it's been so far after only one day. The drive over went well. I got a little nervous once we crossed the border as I saw all these Haitian boys already eying us on the bus (we were the only Americans or white people on the bus). But when we stepped out, they actually didn't bother us very much, I was surprised! We filled out a form, turned it in, and we were on our way. Okay, so here goes story number one.

Poop in the River

As we were waiting to get off the bus at the border, I was looking out the bus window and I saw a little boy squatting next to the river. As I continued to watch I noticed that the little boys pants were pulled down, that there was a pile of something underneath him, and there was a woman (mom?) standing near by. Jenilea and I sat there and watched as we hoped it wasn't what we thought it was. The little boy had indeed gone poop in the open public as we watched the mom wipe him (he looked about 4 years old) with who knows what and then continue by tearing a paper plate in half, scooping up the little boys poop, and tossing it in the river where I had just taken pictures of people bathing and doing their laundry.

These are the people who might have seen what was thrown into the river as I described earlier.

There was just a little bit of trash...

everywhere!

The river marks the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Ditto! What a different life (even from what I saw in the DR)!

    ReplyDelete