Monday, February 28, 2011

Our 8th Graders Arrive!


After a longer than expected ride up to Caraballo (about 30 minutes away from the team house, one of the van's belt broke and they had to get towed into town), the 8th graders arrived late Thursday evening. Here are pictures from various parts of the trip. We had a wonderful time, the kids behaved well, and they worked very hard!

Buying food at La Sirena in Puerto Plata.

Rebecca, one of our wonderful leaders and cook for the week!

We were well fed!

We played games like spoons (or markers) and concentration. Concentration is a challenging game as it is but even harder in another language! I was so proud of myself for making it from the last number to number 1 but then I messed up by saying "1-20" instead of "1-18" as there were only 18 people playing.

Rebecca, Paul, and I got frozen yogurt at La Sirena. I felt kind of bad at first since everyone else didn't get ice cream...

but then I found out they had ice cream at a nearby Splash.

Bedtime!

Getting ready to drive out to the Care Center. We borrowed a truck the first day until the van was fixed. It was quite a bumpy ride!

The old sugar cane factory.

On our way to the Care Center!

Driving through the sugar cane fields.

Driving through a river that sometimes fills too high to cross by vehicle.

Fixing the gate after the van knocked it out of place.

Playtime at the beach Sunday afternoon before heading back to Jarabacoa :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that these kids get to have the mission-trip experience! And I just get a kick out of the fact that you (my youngest child) is a sponsor! Something that I enjoyed doing so very much. That is the original Sandy, sandy, leeann, joanne, and jeanne-marie connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with MOM!! You're all grown-up ;D!! I also love how the kids that you are ministering to, are ministering to others!!! That is SO neat!!

    ReplyDelete