As we had been praying for months about a place to stay come the middle of May, God provided an opportunity to stay in a house that Kids Alive has been renting. Here's what's happened in the last week and a half-
A little background- we last paid our rent in January, which would cover the rent for Jan-Feb and then told our landlord we would like to use our 3 month deposit for the last three months of living in this house, which would put our move out date in the middle of May (Feb-Mar, Mar-April, April-May). When we asked to use the deposit there seemed to be no problem or even mention that our 6 month contract ended in March so we figured it wasn't a big deal to stay a couple more months.
Now Katie (my roommate who got married) moved out and into her new house in the middle of April. A few days later when I was getting back from the beach, there was a Dominican woman (who I didn't know) sitting at our front porch with her little dog. She told me she was our landlords wife and was waiting for him. I thought that was strange but went inside and continued unpacking. Our landlord arrives and tells me he is going to put up a fence in between our yard and the neighbor's yard behind us so he can keep his dog there. As I was about to ask why, the big dog from the backyard bolts around the corner and attacks the small dog. After chasing the dogs around the house and throwing a couple of patio chairs at the dogs, the landlord finally got the dogs apart and we continued our conversation.
Basically, the landlord thought we had all moved out April 19 when only Katie did. He was planning on keeping his dog at our house and already had a client who was interested in the house. Once I told him we were still living there until our 3 months deposit was up he said he'd talk to the lawyer to find out the exact dates. The next day after picking up my friend from the airport, we arrived back at my house at 10PM only to find the lawyer waiting for me-at 10PM! I told her the same thing I told the landlord and she seemed to understand.
Monday and Tuesday, the following week we got calls from the lawyer saying that this needs to be figured out and on Thursday she threatened to sue us! Apparently the lawyer had a really big problem with us staying over our lease and she also thought that we were paying at the end of each month so to her, we were staying past the 3 month deposit. Remember, this is 2 days before Katie's wedding! Basically we agreed to move out (by today) without getting the rest of our deposit back (only 2 weeks) and we weren't going to pay them anything.
In the end, several missionaries helped us with moving and now we see that it's a huge blessing to be in this house, it's HUGE! :)
I am so glad everything worked out for you! It never ceases to amaze me the way things work in the DR!! I can't wait to come visit you in your new "HUGE" house! ;) It's gonna be a blast!!!
ReplyDeleteWow what a story! Good job getting through it all. It is very cool to see God working everything out. I am very glad you and Jenn will have a great place to hang out in Jarabacoa!
ReplyDelete