Sunday, September 20, 2009

BIG UPDATES!

Hello family and friends!
This week has been filled with answers to our prayers!

1. Team from Washington- The team was such a blessing this week as they worked with my English classes, gave medical care, helped with construction at Anija, gave a wonderful Awana program, had endless encouraging words and much more. I was nervous at how things would go with the group and my 5th-8th graders but God blessed us all. The team members stepped right in and connected with the kids and just about everyone was participating and speaking English! I was blessed with having several moments to stand back and watch my students speaking English and interacting with the team members. Praise the Lord!
Apart spending time with the team in my English classes, I was able to eat and hangout with the team several days as well. I shared about my experiences so far and how I decided to serve in the DR as well as hear their testimonies. I really enjoyed welcoming, working, and talking with the team. I will be interacting with future teams as my role in sponsorship grows.

2. Pasola- Last weekend I mentioned that I had the pasola looked at and had taken it for a successful ride. Well, that Sunday afternoon it wouldn't start, or on Monday, or on Tuesday. Thursday I had gotten a ride home from Anija from Vic (the field director) and I said, "Even though the pasola hasn't started the last few days I still have a little hope so I'm going to try one more time." And who would have guessed it started on the first try and I've been using it all weekend! Praise the Lord!

3. Living Situation- I'M ALL MOVED IN!!! Praise the Lord again! We received the keys on Friday and my two roommates (Jenilea and Katie) moved in on Saturday and I moved in today (Sunday). There have been a few minor problems with getting the electricity turned on, the inverter connected, and the water pump working but God is working them out one by one. As far as furniture goes (long story short), we were able to buy just about everything (couches, table and chairs, stove, inverter, fridge, dresser, etc) from Katie's old roommate at very good prices. The only thing I had to buy from a store a bed. Now we need to buy screens to put on the windows so I won't be eaten alive by mosquitoes (which you can only imagine how many bites I already have).

4. Running- This was the first week I've felt good about being able to exercise since I arrived in the DR. I received permission to miss Monday morning devotions (at ANIJA) and come in later as I don't teach any classes, only prep, on Mondays. Now I am able to run with Sally, another missionary with KAI, who I haven't been able to run much with because of schedule conflicts on Monday mornings. Also, while on a short run during the week I passed another North American runner on my way home and decided to loop around and say hi. In the end, we exchanged numbers and are hoping to run again sometime. Lastly, I met Krista, another missionary in Jarabacoa, who is training for a marathon. I met her at the perfect time as I was able to run 5 miles out of her 20 miler on Saturday. Praise the Lord for running partners!

5. Volleyball- A volleyball club started for girls on Friday afternoons at ANIJA. I am going to help the PE coach from ANIJA coach and organize games. Students from ANIJA and other schools are welcome to practice and play games as well. I think this will be a good opportunity for me to connect with the girls from ANIJA and I will have a chance to widen my vocabulary. :) Praise God for this opportunity!

As you can see, God is listening and answering to your prayers and mine. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your prayers, comments, and encouraging words and please know I am praying for you as well. Please continue to pray as I transition into living with 2 new roommates, living in a new house (pray for no big problems), that the pasola will continue to work, for wisdom on teaching, grace and understanding with learning Spanish, and that I will feel God's presence strongly in moments of being homesick.

Julie-Anne

*PS- I will post pictures from the team being here as soon as I receive the CD of all the pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that God is saying Yes, now is the time I have chosen to give you what you have been asking for! Isn't it comforting to know that in God's perfect timing a house that is more than adequate, in a good neighborhood, became available?! I am also so glad that you have met some nice women to run with! God is so good to us when we continually bring our requests to him, knowing that he is always answering, and that in His time, when the request is in His will, He will say Yes!! in such a big way that He will receive glory in His answer! I also praise God that He brought a team of people to Anija to help and encourage you! What a marvel it must have been to see your students interacting with the team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie-Anne ~

    I am always so blessed each time I read your blog updates. Thank you so much for sharing. It is so amazing to hear about how God listens and answers prayers, in His timing. As we continue to seek Him, let us be reminded that, "The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and His ears are open to their prayers." (I Peter 3:12) What a comforting promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good! I'm so glad that the housing situation has finally worked out for you. I will pray that the scooter continues to work for you. I think about you every day and pray that God will protect you and use you in amazing ways for His glory. i can see that he is doing that. I love you very much. Wish I could be there to give you a big hug! Remember... "Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (Deut. 31:8)

    ReplyDelete