Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm Going to Haiti!

I'm so excited to tell you that I am heading to Cap Haitian, Haiti tomorrow at 10am. I'll be going with our Field Director, his son, and my roommate Jenilea for two nights. I have wanted to go to Haiti since coming to the DR and my desire to go has grown since meeting the Haitian boys we've received because of the earthquake back in January. As many of you know, after the earthquake Kids Alive built a Tent City (enough for 50 kids and house parents) where our ministries are located in Cap Haitian and although it has been ready to receive kids since March we just started receiving kids in June and July. As of now we have 44 kids who came from Port-a-Prince and apparently we are receiving 30 new kids from Port-a-Prince a couple hours before we arrive tomorrow! Seeing as we have so many kids, the kids are actually living in rented houses with house parents and we are planning on opening up the Tent City we built as a school for these kids.

We will be bringing lots of bags of donations with us tomorrow and Jenilea and I will help sort through stuff on Friday. Jeff (the Field Director) is hoping to buy land on Friday where we are planning to build a residential site (like the Ark here in Jarabacoa) for these kids. I'm not sure of many more details other than that but I'm hoping to love on all the kids I meet. I think it will be good to see where our Haitian kids and families that we work with came from and help me understand the things I've heard about Haiti.

We will be staying at our team house there so I know we will be taken care of. Please pray for safe travels as we cross the border, for the new kids to arrive safely from Port-a-Prince, and that my eyes and heart will be open to the things God wants to show me during this experience.

May God bless you this week!
Julie-Anne

James 1:27 " Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

1 comment:

  1. Whoa!!! De-Ja-Voo!!! HEHEHE! (Read your email first ;D)

    ReplyDelete