

Today's home visits have left me thinking a lot about my students and their lives outside of Anija. Today I got to visit Karolyn, who is in my small group for Awana. I had been to her house before with one of her sponsors this summer but boy has her situation changed. I hadn't realized that her mom, sister, and herself were living at her grandmother's house until today when Karolyn was so anxious to get me to their own house. I stood in front of a large sheet of wood as she called to her mother. They told me to move to the side so the sheet of wood (the door) wouldn't fall on me (as it wasn't attached to anything). I entered into their house and saw a space that is half the size of my bedroom. There was a small bed, a crib that was made into a "bed," a tv, and tons of clothes everywhere. That was it. They have to go to her grandmother's house for everything else (and I sensed there was some tension between the mother and grandmother) including to cook, bathe, go to the bathroom, everything. I was just wondering at Awana on Tuesday if there was something going on at home with Karolyn because she has been acting a little different recently with her behavior (a little less obedient, playing more with my hair, hanging out in the library, and giving/receiving more hugs!). I am so glad I get to visit and spend time with the kids outside of Anija although sometimes I'm not sure how to process what I hear, see, and feel...
WOW!! That's hard! You have such a big, soft heart!! Thanks for sharing it with me (us).
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for Karolyn and her family. Thanks for sharing this part of your week!
ReplyDelete